State College Presbyterian Church had very humble beginnings, being organized in 1890 with only 58 members who transferred to the tiny village of State College from Lemont’s Spring Creek Church. Built at the corner of Locust Lane and College Ave. on donated land, the members established a Sabbath School, emphasizing Bible study, preaching and prayer meetings.
By 1912 SCPC had added a manse at E. Beaver Ave. and Locust Lane and was ready to consider a new and larger building on two W. Beaver Ave. lots. The cornerstone for the new “Church Beside the Tower”, was laid on October 27, 1912 (actual construction began July 17, 1912) and the handsome native limestone structure took form in the Gothic style. Services were held for the first time on September 7, 1913. This new building which some thought too large and too far out in the country, provided rooms for social functions, kitchen facilities, rooms for student activities, space for church school in the rear and balcony, and pews for 280 worshipers in front of the arch. The front and rear of the sanctuary could be effectively divided by heavy drapes installed along the arch.
In 1938 plans were laid to add a religious education building to provide more Sunday School space and rooms for the student serving Westminster Foundation. The building was completed in 1942.
In November 1992, a nine-year building campaign kicked off to raise over $2 million for a
new education annex. Completed in 1994 this new wing of the Christian Education Building provided new classrooms for Sunday School, youth programs, handicapped accessibility to all levels of the existing building and the new building, restrooms designed for children and persons with handicaps, fire safety system, and sanctuary appearance and lighting improvements. These upgrades have provided us with a comfortable and attractive place for worship, Christian Education and programs.